Beaufoy Merlin lookout
Hill End Historic Site
Beaufoy Merlin lookout offers spectacular views and an excellent vantage point to see the true scale of former mining activities. It’s also great for photography.
- Hill End Historic Site in Country NSW
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching.
Also known as 'Merlin’s lookout', Beaufoy Merlin lookout is a great spot to look out over the area once known as "the richest quarter mile in the world". It’s only a short drive from town or an easy walk along the road if you add it to your Hill End village tour or Bald Hill walking track.
Overlooking Hawkins Hill, it’s an excellent vantage point to take in the true scale of mining that took place here. A display shows how it may have looked during the mining heyday to spark your imagination.
The views are spectacular, especially at sunrise and sunset when the sky is filled with vibrant colours. On winter mornings, you’ll often see fog blanketing the valley, creating outstanding photography opportunities. But any time of day, it’s a peaceful spot for a quiet cuppa or a picnic with beautiful views across Turon Valley.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Hill End Historic Site office
- Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm. Closed weekends and public holidays.
- 02 6370 9050
- 5 Beyers Avenue, Hill End NSW 2850
- in Hill End Historic Site in the Country NSW region
Hill End Historic Site is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.