Washpool horse riding trails
Washpool National Park
Head to Washpool National Park for your next horse riding adventure. You’ll find 100km of great forest trails for all riding levels, a short drive from Tenterfield.
- Washpool National Park
- 100km of trails
- Time suggested
- 3 days
- Entry fees
Park entry fees do not apply for this activity.
- Please note
- Please read our code of practice for horse riding in parks before you set out on your adventure.
- Contact Tenterfield area office on (02) 6736 4298 for more information regarding maps for horse riding, including trails in nearby Capoompeta National Park.
- Please consider minimising the impact of introduced weeds and plants on the national park by feeding horses a weed-free diet for two to four days prior to any extended trip. This will reduce the risk of seeds being spread through manure.
Saddle up and explore 100km of fire trails in the remote and rugged Washpool National Park. Enjoy the solitude of this remote location as you gallop through tall open forests of blackbutt, stringybark, mountain gums and tree ferns.
There are routes to suit all experience levels. Start off on the easy loop, a gentle 12km trail near Four Bull Hut, or tackle one of the more adventurous trails.
Try the all-day ride from the beginning of Billyrimba Trail to Leahys Flat in the east, which combines the beauty of tall forests, far off peaks and drops over 600m in elevation. You can stop for lunch at Leahys Flat, before enjoying an afternoon break at Billyrimba Lookout on the way back up the hill. For a refreshing change try the ride from Billyrimba Trail to Billyrimba Falls and enjoy an afternoon swim in Billyrimba Creek (summer only).
History buffs will love History loop, a 15km trail that explores the local heritage dating back to early settlers around Tenterfield. You’ll discover the remnants of timber mill machinery from Mangleson’s Mill, dating back to the late 1890s.
Why not make a weekend of it, and stay at Four Bull Hut, the only on-park accommodation where you can stay with your horse.
Stay in the rustic Four Bull Hut, tucked away in a secluded valley of Washpool National Park. This refurbished cabin the perfect escape for horse riding and other adventures, within driving distance of the NSW North Coast.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Tenterfield office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6736 4298
- 10 Miles Street, Tenterfield NSW 2372
- in Washpool National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Washpool National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day applies only at attractions in the Glen Innes area. The park uses a self-registration fee collection system. Please bring the correct change and display your receipt.Buy annual pass