Mount Jerusalem National Park
With beautiful forests and stunning mountain views, Gilwah trail near Mullumbimby is a great way for horse riders, mountain bikers and bushwalkers to explore Mount Jerusalem National Park.
- Mount Jerusalem National Park
- No wheelchair access
- 6km of trails
- Time suggested
- What to
- Drinking water, sturdy shoes, hat, raincoat, suitable clothing, clothes for all weather conditions, snacks, sunscreen, first aid kit, personal locator beacon, topographic map, compass, gps
- Please note
- Gilwah trail is shared with vehicles. Follow road rules and stay safe.
- Some trails pass through remote country. It's a good idea to bring navigational aids.
- Please read our code of practice for horse riding in parks before you set out on your adventure.
- Please don't let your horses drink from creeks in the park. This harms fragile creek-side habitat for threatened frogs.
Close to Uki, Gilwah trail offers adventurous horse riders a chance to experience some remote and rugged terrain. Cyclists and bushwalkers will also enjoy this challenging 6km route that traverses a high ridgeline in Mount Jerusalem National Park.
Allow about 4 hours to ride the trail and return to your horse float. You'll encounter some steep hill climbs and descents, but it's certainly worth the effort. The reward is stunning views to Mount Wollumbin and the timeless volcanic ranges of the Tweed Caldera.
As you ride, immerse yourself in the sights and scents of dry eucalypt forest. Beyond the open canopy of scribbly gum, tallowwood and blackbutt trees you may even spot a wedge-tailed eagle soaring overhead. These raptors aren't the only fascinating wildlife in Mount Jerusalem National Park; be on the lookout for yellow-tailed black cockatoos, koalas and echidnas too.
If you'd prefer an easier horse riding experience, try Mount Jerusalem Central trails. For still more multi-use trails in the Byron Bay Hinterland of Whian Whian State Conservation Area and Nightcap National Park, explore Whian Whian mountain bike trails.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Explore ancient World Heritage-listed rainforest in Nightcap National Park, near Lismore in north-eastern NSW. Ideal for a day trip or overnight adventure, you’ll find great campgrounds, picnic areas, walks and stunning views.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Murwillumbah office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6670 8600
- Level 1/135 Murwillumbah Street, Murwillumbah NSW 2484
- in Mount Jerusalem National Park in the North Coast region
Mount Jerusalem National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.