Werakata National Park
If you’re heading north to Astills picnic area then you might stop for a moment to discover some historic heritage at Forestry Hut.
- Historic buildings/places
- Werakata National Park in North Coast
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
While enjoying a day exploring Werakata National Park, in Lower Hunter Valley, heritage Foresty Hut is well worth a visit. The site offers the chance to glimpse a bygone era for the park and the people who worked here.
Surrounded by tall trees, Forestry Hut is situated near Astills picnic area where you can enjoy a peaceful lunch. Bring the bikes and cycle nearby Deadmans mountain bike loop.
Huts like this were used as a base for forestry workers when the timber industry flourished. Today, the natural wonders of this park are protected and Forestry Hut is a historic reminder earlier times. As you listen to the birds in surrounding bush, imagine just how different this peaceful setting would have been many years ago. It's a good idea to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Newcastle office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4946 4100
- 1 Wetlands Place, Shortland NSW 2307
- in Werakata National Park in the North Coast region
Werakata National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (79)
- 4WD touring (5)
- Aboriginal culture (6)
- Adventure sports (7)
- Beach (2)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (26)
- Canoeing/paddling (3)
- Cultural heritage (2)
- Cycling (13)
- Environmental appreciation/study (1)
- Fishing (8)
- Historic heritage (12)
- Horse riding (1)
- Other experiences (2)
- Photography (2)
- Picnics and barbecues (15)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (2)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (1)
- Sightseeing (25)
- Surfing (2)
- Swimming (4)
- Walking (31)
- Waterfalls (3)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (2)