Astills picnic area
Werakata National Park
Get together for a picnic near Cessnock under the shady gums at Astills picnic area, then head off for a bike ride through Werakata National Park.
- Picnic areas
- Werakata National Park in North Coast
- What to
- Drinking water, clothes for all weather conditions, sunscreen
- Please note
There is limited mobile reception in this park.
Astills picnic area is the ideal place for a feed. It’s rarely busy, and the picnic tables let you sit and take in the surroundings, with plenty of open grassy areas for games or chilling out.
Towering trees soar above you, so tuck yourself under the shade while reading a book. In spring, you’ll see lovely heath flowers like purple happy wanderer, yellow hairpin banksia, red mountain devil, and the pretty purple thyme honey myrtle.
After lunch ride the bikes around Deadmans mountain bike loop, an east 8km ride through Hunter Valley bushland. On a sunny winter’s day, rug up, pack the thermos and enjoy the amazing variety of birds from the comfort of your eucalypt canopy. Owls, speckled warblers, black-chinned honeyeaters, grey-crowned babblers, and serenading kookaburras, will keep you company.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Newcastle office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4946 4100
- 1 Wetlands Place, Shortland NSW 2307
- in Werakata National Park in the North Coast region
Werakata National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (28)
- 4WD touring (1)
- Adventure sports (3)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (9)
- Canoeing/paddling (2)
- Cycling (2)
- Environmental appreciation/study (1)
- Fishing (2)
- Historic heritage (8)
- Other experiences (2)
- Photography (2)
- Picnics and barbecues (7)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (1)
- Sightseeing (10)
- Walking (9)
- Waterfalls (2)