Cornish Quartz roasting pits
Hill End Historic Site
The quartz roasting pits are a short drive from Hill End and are a significant historical remnant of Australia’s earlier mining heritage.
- Historic buildings/places
- Hill End Historic Site in Country NSW
If you’re thinking of taking a day trip from Bathurst, why not step back in time and visit Cornish Quartz roasting pits near Hill End Historic Site town centre? Well worth the effort, here you’ll see the historic remnants of an old mining town up close.
This is a rare treat for Australian history buffs. The quartz roasting pits were established in 1855 and have become a significant insight into our nation’s beginnings and how the gold rush transformed the country.
The roasting pits are an interesting snapshot into quartz mining processes, and you're sure to leave this place with some newfound knowledge of Australia's gold rush history.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Hill End Historic Site office
- Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm. Closed weekends and public holidays.
- 02 6370 9050
- 5 Beyers Avenue, Hill End NSW 2850
- in Hill End Historic Site in the Country NSW region
Hill End Historic Site is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (23)
- 4WD touring (2)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (3)
- Cafes and kiosks (3)
- Educational activities (1)
- Fishing (1)
- Historic heritage (21)
- Other experiences (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (3)
- Sightseeing (4)
- Swimming (1)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (4)
- Waterfalls (1)