Bald Hill tourist mine
Hill End Historic Site
Experience the underground world of a goldminer at Bald Hill tourist mine. A short walk or drive from Hill End, this guided tour is ideal for families and school groups.
- Historic buildings/places
- Hill End Historic Site
Guided tour fees apply
- Opening times
Bald Hill tourist mine is:
- Open most weekends, and weekday tours can be arranged.
- Closed on Christmas Day.
- Open for school groups, so bookings are recommended to avoid disappointment.
- What to
- Drinking water
- To book a tour, contact Northeys Store on 0407 187 275. For further enquiries about the guided tour, please call (02) 6337 8224.
- Please note
- Good, closed shoes are recommended.
- Bookings recommended to avoid disappointment during busy times.
- Don’t forget a camera for ‘ghost shots’.
Bald Hill tourist mine offers a unique opportunity to step into an original 1870s mine shaft and experience the subterranean world of a colonial goldminer. It’s easily accessible by car on the way to Beaufoy Merlin lookout, or just a short 30-minute walk along Bald Hill walking track, from the township of Hill End. It’s a fantastic day trip or family excursion, and guided tours are very popular with school groups.
The guided tour offers insights into the life and work of miners during the gold rush and a great introduction to the history of Hill End. You’ll see demonstrations of hammer and tap mining techniques and walk down original mine shafts.
Looking down the 80m tunnel, you can just imagine what life was like for the miners underground. If you’re feeling adventurous, choose to climb the 30m ladder to exit via the ventilation shaft.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- in Hill End Historic Site in the Country NSW region
Hill End Historic Site is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.