Great North walk stage 1: City to Fullers Bridge
Lane Cove National Park
Make the Great North walk your fitness challenge for 2022! Stage 1 kicks off at Macquarie Place, Sydney. On this 8hr, 15km walk, you'll journey north to Lane Cove National Park.
Sunday 20 February 2022 and Wednesday 23 February 2022, 8.15am to 4.30pm. Meet at 8am.
- Lane Cove National Park
- No wheelchair access
- Medium. Suitable for adults only (15 years and over).
- Adult (15 years and over) $25 per person. Concession (Student, Australian pension, Veterans Affairs and Seniors card holders) $20 per person.
- Meeting point
- Macquarie Place, corner of Bridge Street and Loftus Street, Sydney. Meet at 8am.
- What to
- Drinking water, snacks, sturdy shoes, sunscreen, hat
- Bookings required. Phone 1300 072 757 for more information or book online.
Here are some highlights of this walk:
- We'll meet at the Obelisk in Macquarie Place. It's the original milestone from where all 19th-century roads in NSW were measured.
- Then we'll take a ferry to Woolwich Pier, at the lower reaches of the Lane Cover River.
- We'll traverse Kellys Bush at Hunters Hill.
- We'll also pass an industrial 'heritage' site – a former uranium dumping ground!
- As the valley closes in, we'll move through remnant casuarina forests. They were the source of roof shingles for many houses in old Sydney town.
- We'll hike on through Fairyland.
- Our journey finishes up at Fullers Bridge in Lane Cove National Park. It's near the site of the Bogle and Chandler mystery.
- Then it's a short bus ride to either North Ryde (where only buses will be running) or Chatswood stations. You'll make your way home from there.
Bring at least 2 litres of drinking water, lunch and snacks. It's a good idea to wear enclosed shoes and bring a hat, rain gear, sunscreen, insect protection and emergency contact information. We'll be using public transport for one section, so don't forget your Opal card.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
- in Lane Cove National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Lane Cove National Park is open 9am to 7pm during daylight savings (until 6pm at other times). The park may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park has pay and display machines.
Bus: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Prior payment may be required, please phone the Lane Cove National Park Office for more information.
Under the National Parks and Wildlife Regulation 2009, prior written approval is required for organised groups of 30 or more people planning to visit the park. Contact the park office prior to your visit.Buy annual pass