Byron tandem hang gliding flights and lessons
Cape Byron State Conservation Area
COVID-safe tours and events
To Wednesday 15 December 2021, there are restrictions on unvaccinated people booking tours. Proof of vaccination status will be required on the day. If unvaccinated, you can only join a tour within the LGA of your residence and you can only join a tour with members of your household. Your booking will need to meet the minimum size requirement for the tour.
You'll be required to wear a mask if you enter an indoor area. Please have a mask with you on the day.
Try the thrilling sport of hang gliding with a tandem flight over spectacular Cape Byron or nearby Lennox Head. With 40 years’ experience, Byron Airwaves Hang Gliding School is your ticket to the freedom of flight.
- Contact Byron Airwaves Hang Gliding School for schedule.
- Cape Byron State Conservation Area
- No wheelchair access
- Contact Byron Airwaves Hang Gliding School for pricing.
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Bookings required. Book online or email or call Byron Airwaves Hang Gliding School on 0427 615 950. Bookings for special events or groups available on request.
Take a tandem flight with accredited Byron Airwaves Hang Gliding School and you’ll soon be soaring over the coast past famous Cape Byron Lighthouse. Your first hang-gliding experience couldn't be any better.
Keep an eye out for ospreys and white-bellied sea eagles in warmer months. Try a flight in spring for a good chance to see magnificent humpback whales migrating — a whale watcher’s delight. Dolphins and turtles are a common sight too, as you glide silently overhead.
You don’t need any prior experience for these lessons, and if this taste of flight makes you want to come back for more, Byron Airwaves Hang Gliding School can offer instruction toward your pilot’s certificate.
Byron Airwaves Hang Gliding School is a licensed commercial tour operator with a Parks Eco Pass.
- in Cape Byron State Conservation Area in the North Coast region
- Cape Byron State Conservation Area is open all hours, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Cape Byron Lighthouse lawn is open 8am to sunset.
- The Maritime Museum in the former Lighthouse Keeper’s office at the base of the lighthouse is open 10am to 4pm daily.
- Opening before 8am for events or disabled access can be arranged by prior notice – contact NPWS Byron Bay office during business hours 02 6639 8300.
Park entry fees:
Cape Byron Lighthouse lawn and Information Centre: $8 per vehicle per hour/$4 per hour motorcycles. Maximum 1 hour per vehicle per calendar day, including all NPWS annual passholders.
Captain Cook lookout, Cosy Corner, and The Pass: $4 per vehicle/motorcycle per hour. Pay and display machines - cash and credit cards accepted.
Coach entry: $29 per coach up to 30 seats; $55 per coach 31 to 43 seats; $91 per coach 44 seats and over.Buy annual pass