Turkey Flat trail
Murrumbidgee Valley National Park
Visit Murrumbidgee Valley National Park, near Leeton, to combine birdwatching, bushwalking and mountain biking. This great trail ends at Middle Beach.
- Murrumbidgee Valley National Park
- 3.2km one-way
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min
- Opening times
- Turkey Flat trail is always open, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen
- Please note
- This trail can also be completed in the opposite direction by starting at Middle Beach and heading up to Turkey Flat Wetland
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go birdwatching
Turkey Flat trail is the ultimate twitchers’ trail, taking you through the habitats of countless woodland and wetland birds.
The trail begins at Turkey Flat wetlands, close to Leeton. Start with a little birdwatching at the bird hide and then, when you’re ready to get going, take the flat track over the floodwater regulator, which offers a great vantage point for seeing ducks flying overhead.
Keep your eyes peeled as you’re hiking or mountain biking. You might glimpse threatened superb parrots, white-bellied sea eagles and sacred kingfishers, as well as other varieties too numerous to name. You’ll probably spot the odd kangaroo, too, and be serenaded by frogs, particularly after rain.
When you reach the junction, turn left or right – your choice – and follow the track as it meanders through part of the world’s largest protected area of river red gum forest.
You’ll end up at Middle Beach, which is a great spot to cool off with a swim or picnic. Alternatively, continue the birdwatching theme and watch pelicans skidding in to land on the water.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Griffith office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6966 8100
- 200 Yambil Street, Griffith NSW 2680
- in Murrumbidgee Valley National Park in the Murray-Riverina region
Murrumbidgee Valley National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.