Old Great North Road bike ride
Dharug National Park
Mountain bike or walk the Old Great North Road. It’s an important piece of Australia’s history and part of the Convict Sites of Australia World Heritage Area.
- 43km one-way
- Time suggested
- 1 day
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, suitable clothing, sunscreen
- Please note
- This is an important heritage area; please leave convict sites and the landscape and vegetation of Dharug National Park as you find them
- Take plenty of drinking water with you as water is scarce. Water taken from tanks must be boiled or treated before drinking
- Please take your rubbish with you
- Please observe all fire restrictions, use the fireplaces provided and take care when visiting the park in the fire danger period between October and April
- If you’re riding a mountain bike along the road, please keep to the Old Great North Road, consider walkers, and walk your bike down Devine’s Hill
Dharug National Park contains part of the 43km stretch of the convict-built Old Great North Road. Built between 1826 and 1836, it contains the oldest surviving stone bridges in mainland Australia, including Clares Bridge and Circuit Flat Bridge.
If you plan to walk the road, it’s best to allow two to three days for the whole track, although you can break it up into shorter sections for an easier walk. You can also ride the road – allow about a day to do so. There are plenty of places to stop along the way for a rest, birdwatching or picnicking.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Bulga office
- Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm.
- 02 6574 5555
- 2156 Putty Road, Bulga NSW 2330
- in Dharug National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Dharug National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.