Old Great North Road - World Heritage walk
Dharug National Park
Old Great North Road – World Heritage walk highlights a historic convict-built road with scenic river views, via Finchs Line, in Dharug National Park.
- Dharug National Park in Sydney and surrounds
- 9km loop
- Time suggested
- 3hrs 30min - 4hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- Bikes need to be walked down Devines Hill and the walking track section of Finchs Line.
Old Great North Road - World Heritage walk features a historic convict-built, some in chains, road overlooking the Hawkesbury River, in Dharug National Park. Returning via Finchs Line, this moderately steep track is popular with families and history buffs with some bushwalking experience.
Starting on Devines Hill loop, you’ll pass the quarry, with historic graffiti carved in the rocks by convicts long gone. You can almost hear the sound of picks striking the blocks and the clinking of leg irons. Marvel at the craftsmanship of the beautifully preserved stonework that includes towering stone buttresses, culverts and even a curved wall. Unpack a picnic along the way and soak up the tranquil bush setting with scenic river views. Round off your day with a night under the stars at Mill Creek campground, only a short drive away.
Download the Convict Road app to learn about the hardships of the convicts who constructed the road. The app features two walks, short films about the convict experience, and expert commentary. Learn more about the World Heritage listing of Old Great North Road.
Take a virtual tour of Old Great North Road - World Heritage walk captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Bulga office
- Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm.
- 02 6574 5555
- 2156 Putty Road, Bulga NSW 2330
- in Dharug National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Dharug National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (13)
- Aboriginal culture (1)
- Adventure sports (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (3)
- Canoeing/paddling (1)
- Cultural heritage (1)
- Cycling (6)
- Historic heritage (6)
- Horse riding (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (1)
- Sightseeing (5)
- Walking (9)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (2)