Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Centre trail is an easy mountain bike ride that takes in scenic views, wildflowers and Aboriginal rock engravings in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, near Terrey Hills.
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- 3.5km one-way
- Time suggested
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
Toilets and picnic facilities are located at Illawong Bay on Liberator General San Martin Drive.
A rewarding ride through heathland leading to a fascinating site of Aboriginal heritage, Centre trail traverses along a ridge off McCarrs Creek Road near Terrey Hills, in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
Explore the trail in spring and you’ll be wowed by the dazzling display of wildflowers such as the red boronia and fuchsia heath. Their floral aroma mingles with the scent of eucalypt to create a heady perfume. As you ride along the ridge line, be sure to take in the scenic views over several waterways, including Coal and Candle Creek and Akuna Bay.
Climbing a small knoll, you’ll find a rock escarpment and tessellated pavements revealing faint engravings of footprints etched into the sandstone. As you ponder their significance, whisper an acknowledgement to the Aboriginal people of this country, before retracing your steps.
Take a virtual tour of Centre trail captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Forestville Office
- Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm.
- 02 9451 3479
- 82 Ferguson Street, Forestville NSW 2087
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).Buy annual pass