Murray River canoe trails
Murray Valley National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Murray River canoe trails.
Getting there and parking
Murray River canoe trails start from Picnic Point in Murray Valley National Park, NSW, or from Barmah Lakes day visitor area or Barmah Punt in Victoria’s Barmah National Park.
To get to Picnic Point:
- From Mathoura, head east along Jones Street
- Follow Jones Street as it becomes Picnic Point Road for approximately 10km to Picnic Point boat ramp.
To get to Barmah Lakes day visitor area, from Moama via Cobb Highway:
- Take the Barmah Road turn-off 14.5km north of Moama
- Turn left at Moira Lakes Road in Barmah
- From Barmah, travel north along Moira Lakes Road for 6.3km
- Turn left into Barmah Lakes day visitor area.
To get to Barmah Punt:
- From Moama, head north along Cobb Highway
- Turn right onto Barmah Road and continue for approximately 14km to Barmah township
- Turn right onto Evans Street to get to Barmah Punt carpark.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Free parking is available at all these locations.
Best times to visit
September to April is the best time for paddling on the Murray River.
- Picnic Point: Barbecue, fish cleaning table, general store, toilets, carpark, boat ramp and pontoon.
- Barmah Lakes day visitor area: Picnic shelter, picnic tables, toilets, carparks, boat ramp and information shelter.
- Barmah Punt: General Store, toilet, carpark and boat ramp.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.
- Moama office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm. Closed 12pm to 1pm.
- 03 5483 9100
- Factory 5, Lot 8 Bowlan Road, Moama NSW 2731
- in Murray Valley National Park in the Murray-Riverina region
Murray Valley National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.