Canoe Evans River paddle route
Bundjalung National Park
Try this paddle route along the Evans River in Bundjalung National Park on the north coast for fabulous wildlife and birdwatching.
- Bundjalung National Park
- 8km one-way
- Time suggested
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- You can launch your canoe from Gummigurrah picnic area
- Check the weather before you set out as Evans River paddle route can be affected by floods when it rains
- You'll find toilet facilities in Evans Head; there are no toilet facilities at Gummigurrah picnic area
- It’s a good idea to take insect repellent with you
If you want a water based adventure without getting your feet too wet, it could be hard to pass up the chance to paddle up the Evans River at the northern tip of Bundjalung National Park. Here, the river, ocean and rainforest meet in a festival for the senses.
Paddling upstream from Gummigurrah picnic area, the outside world will melt away as you pass river islands, mangroves, rainforest as well as heathland and coastal banksia. A birdwatching paradise, listen for the distinct call of the eastern whip-bird and the toy trumpet like call of the rare barred cuckoo shrike. You might glimpse shorebirds such as the white faced heron or pied oystercatcher.
At dawn and dusk, eastern grey kangaroos, red-necked wallabies and swamp wallabies often come out to feed. Scour the tops of nearby trees and there could be a sleeping koala or two.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Alstonville office
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed for lunch, 12pm to 1pm.
- 02 6627 0200
- Russelton Industrial Estate, 7 Northcott Crescent, Alstonville NSW 2477
- in Bundjalung National Park in the North Coast region
Bundjalung National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day.Buy annual pass