Blackheath area in Blue Mountains National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Fortress Canyon.
Getting there and parking
Fortress Canyon is in the Blackheath area of Blue Mountains National Park.
To get there from Sydney:
- Take the Great Western Highway and take the main exit to Leura.
- Turn right at the roundabout onto Leura Mall.
- Turn right onto Victory Lane, which becomes Churchill Street.
- Turn left on to Mount Hay Road and continue for 8.5km.
- Park at Fortress Ridge carpark.
Access to Fortress Canyon starts along Fortress Ridge Fire Trail.
- Mixture of sealed and unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Fortress Ridge carpark.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - no wheelchair access
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.
Commercial filming and photography
- Blue Mountains Heritage Centre and Blackheath office
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4787 8877
- 270 Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath NSW 2785
- in the Blackheath area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Blackheath area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.