School excursionSpecial Offer
Stage 4 (Years 7-8), Science, Thredbo-Perisher area
The biodiversity survey school excursion in Kosciuszko National Park for Stage 4 (Years 7-8) students focuses on science. Investigate what 'biodiversity' means and use field equipment to assess the biodiversity of sample quadrats along a transect in the montane forest.
Read more about Biodiversity survey
Students use a variety of equipment and techniques to gather information about the soil, weather, plants, animals and impact of people on the area.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 4 (Years 7-8)|
|Key learning area||Science|
SC4-14LW. Relates the structure and function of living things to their classification, survival and reproduction
Weekdays November to May.
- Guided. Available on request.
- Kosciuszko Education Centre, Thredbo-Perisher area
- 6hrs 30min
- Easy. Short walk in terrain with uneven surfaces and no tracks.
$300 per group for up to 25 students (includes GST). For groups over 25 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- Kosciuszko Education Centre, Kosciuszko Road at Sawpit Creek, 14 kms from Jindabyne towards Perisher.
- Yes. Teacher's notes and all worksheets, field scientific equipment, identification books and keys, resources and poster stationery are provided.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Kosciuszko Education Centre
- 02 6451 3700
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass