Mountain landscapes: Blue Mountains
Stage 4 (Years 7-8), Geography, Katoomba area in Blue Mountains National Park
Info for teachers
Everything you need to know about Mountain landscapes: Blue Mountains.
- Welcome, acknowledgement of Country and safety briefing
- Guided bushwalk to explore local environment
- Discussion of geological formation of Blue Mountains landscape
- Aspect – illustration and discussion of landscape features using compass
- Landform – illustration and discussion of landscape features using kestrels
- Students draw a field sketch of selected landscape vista
- Discussion of park management and hazards, including fire
- Farewell and depart
What to bring
Please wear long pants, closed comfortable shoes and bring a hat and sunscreen. Be ready for all weather conditions with a jumper and raincoat. Remember to bring extra food and water, and any necessary medications. Please bring your belongings in a backpack rather than a plastic bag.
Getting there and parking
The following information lists directions to the 3 Blue Mountains locations from Sydney:
Wentworth Falls track starts from Wentworth Falls picnic area in Blue Mountains National Park.
- Take Great Western Highway to Wentworth Falls
- Turn on to Falls Road at the traffic lights and follow the sign towards the national park
- Continue to the end of Falls Road, where you'll reach Wentworth Falls picnic area.
Round walking track is in the Katoomba area of Blue Mountains National Park.
- Turn off Great Western Highway at Katoomba
- Follow the signs to Scenic World, and park at Katoomba Falls Kiosk near Katoomba Caravan Park.
Blue Mountains Heritage Centre is in the Blackheath area of Blue Mountains National Park.
- Take Great Western Highway to Blackheath. Turn right at the Blackheath traffic lights onto Govetts Leap Road.
- Drive for 2.5km. After passing through the park entrance, take the second exit from the roundabout.
- Parking is available at Wentworth Falls picnic area, including designated disabled spots.
- Overflow parking is available on Falls Road. Some designated coach parking is available.
- Parking is available on Main Road or at Scenic World.
- Bus parking is available.
- Parking is available at Blue Mountains Heritage Centre, including several designated disabled spots.
- Bus parking is available. Coach parking is available for groups.
Maps and downloads
Risk assessment and risk benefits
Our rangers and guides have the technical skill and experience to assess the risks and the benefits of a variety of activities delivered as part of our learning programs.
We believe in including opportunities that allow students to learn and experience for themselves through exploration in the natural environment.
Please make your own risk assessment based on the information provided. Detailed potential risks and controls are provided for the site to assist teachers in risk management planning. Teachers and carers should be aware of, and consider the needs, abilities and medical conditions of students when visiting this site. The supervision of students remains the responsibility of the teacher. The school must ensure an adequate number of adult supervisors are present.
Disability access level - hard
Scenic World has wheelchair-accessible carparks, picnic areas, displays and toilets. The Wentworth Falls excursion is not wheelchair-accessible. The Blackheath excursion is wheelchair-accessible:
- The sealed track is flat with some gentle slopes, and is suitable for wheelchairs, prams and visitors with limited mobility.
- Seats are provided at intervals along the track to provide rest stops.
- There's a ramp from the carpark to the Blue Mountains Heritage Centre, where the walk starts.
- Wheelchair-accessible toilets are available at the heritage centre.
Please let us know if you are bringing someone with special needs so that we can plan accordingly.