School excursionSpecial Offer
Mountain landscapes: Blue Mountains
Stage 4 (Years 7-8), Geography, Katoomba area
This adventurous Stage 4 (Years 7-8) Geography excursion explores diverse landscapes and landforms of the Blue Mountains. On a bushwalk, students will gather data using geographical equipment, and complete a field sketch of an iconic Blue Mountains landscape.
Read more about Mountain landscapes: Blue Mountains
On a ranger-led walk, students will examine different landscape features such as aspect and landform, and investigate how these features create different conditions.
We discuss the phenomenon of fire and how awareness of fire risk impacts the operation of the park.
Finally, students will gain a greater understanding of the interplay between human and the land, the value of landscape to different groups, and the levels of management in operation to protect this special place.
An optional session on Indigenous perspectives on land management, and the cultural value of landscapes is available.
This excursion is also available at Wentworth Falls or Blackheath.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 4 (Years 7-8)|
GE4-1. Locates and describes the diverse features and characteristics of a range of places and environments
GE4-2. Describes processes and influences that form and transform places and environments
GE4-5. Discusses management of places and environments for their sustainability
GE4-7. Acquires and processes geographical information by selecting and using geographical tools for inquiry
Monday to Friday during school term.
- Minimum 2 hr
- Medium. Guided bushwalk and activities on an uneven surface, including steep stairs and a boardwalk.
Prices start from $395 incl GST per group (up to 20 students).
- Meeting point
- Wentworth Falls: Wentworth Falls picnic area at the end of Falls Road, Wentworth Falls
- Three Sisters: Lilianfels Park, outside the coach drop-off zone, Echo Point Road, Katoomba
- Blackheath: Blue Mountains Heritage Centre, Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath
- Other locations by request
- Yes. Pre and post learning resources are also available.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Blue Mountains
- 02 4784 7301 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- in the Katoomba area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Katoomba area is always open but some locations may close at times due to maintenance, poor weather or fire danger.