School excursionSpecial Offer
Mountain landscapes: Blue Mountains
Stage 4 (Years 7-8), Geography, Katoomba area
Blue Mountains National Park showcases landforms on an unforgettable scale in this impressive Stage 4 (Years 7-8) excursion for geography students. Students will observe and record the geographical landscape at Katoomba and beyond.
Read more about Mountain landscapes: Blue Mountains
From their vantage point at Katoomba, students will investigate the major geographical processes operating in this uplifted, dissected sandstone plateau. They'll use simple tools and maps to observe and identify features of the natural environment.
They'll then take the 2.4km walk into the valley and down the famous Furber Steps.
The Scenic World Cableway can be found at the base of the mountain. Groups can opt to take the return walk uphill or, for an additional fee paid to Scenic World, ascend in the spectacular Cableway.
Students will be immersed in a mountain environment and will learn how this landscape is managed sustainably.
This excursion is also available at Wentworth Falls or Blackheath.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 4 (Years 7-8)|
|Key learning area||Geography|
GE4-1. Locates and describes the diverse features and characteristics of a range of places and environments
GE4-2. Describes processes and influences that form and transform places and environments
GE4-4. Examines perspectives of people and organisations on a range of geographical issues
GE4-5. Discusses management of places and environments for their sustainability
GE4-7. Acquires and processes geographical information by selecting and using geographical tools for inquiry
Monday to Friday during school term.
- Katoomba area in Blue Mountains National Park
- 2-2.5 hr
- Medium. Guided bushwalk and activities on an uneven surface, including steep stairs and a boardwalk.
$295 per group for up to 20 students (plus the cost of a one-way Scenic World Cableway ticket if this option is taken up). GST included. For groups of more than 20 students, additional park staff are required and additional fees will apply.
- Meeting point
- Visiting groups can choose to meet at one of the following locations:
- Katoomba: Katoomba Falls Reserve next to the kiosk, opposite the oval on Cliff Drive.
- Wentworth Falls: Wentworth Falls picnic area, at the end of Falls Road, Wentworth Falls
- Blackheath: Blue Mountains Heritage Centre, Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath
- Yes. We can provide a selection of worksheet questions for teachers to compile prior to the excursion for students.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Blue Mountains
- 02 4784 7301 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- 02 4782 6199
- in the Katoomba area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Katoomba area is always open but some locations may close at times due to maintenance, poor weather or fire danger.