School excursionSpecial Offer
Going up the mountain
Stage 4 (Years 7-8), Geography, Thredbo-Perisher area
Going up the mountain in Kosciuszko National Park is a school excursion for Stage 4 (Years 7-8) students focusing on geography as a KLA. Students will travel through montane and sub-alpine forests to the alpine area of the park.
Read more about Going up the mountain
Field study sites along Kosciuszko Road give opportunities for students to study the way vegetation changes with altitude, plant adaptations, the impact of grazing, ski resort development and alpine area management.
This excursion starts at Kosciuszko Education Centre, then Sawpit Creek, Daines Gap, Smiggin Holes, Perisher, Spencer's Creek, Charlotte's Pass and back to Kosciuszko Education Cetnre.
Geography 4G2: Global Environments
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 4 (Years 7-8)|
4.1. Identifies and gathers geographical information.
4.6. Describes the geographical processes that form and transform environments.
4.8. Describes the interrelationships between people and environments.
Summer months only.
- Guided. Available on request.
$350 per group for up to 25 students (includes GST). For groups over 25 conditions apply.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Kosciuszko Education Centre
- 02 6451 3700
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Single and Multi-Day passes are also available via the Park'nPay app. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter).
Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc). Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information.Buy annual pass