School excursionSpecial Offer
Stage 3 (Years 5-6), Science and Technology, Thredbo-Perisher area
School excursions in NSW national parks
We are currently taking bookings for school excursions. Not all excursions are being delivered as per the usual program due to rules outlined by NSW Health. Alternative learning options with NPWS include online digital resources or incursions delivered at your school. Please contact your National Parks education contact or the relevant local park office for more information.
Primary students learn to think like an environmental scientist in this Stage 3 Science and Technology excursion. They'll investigate living things and their habitats in Kosciuszko National Park, and then plan and do their own simple scientific investigation.
Read more about Environmental scientist
Students will explore the importance of the Scientific Method and will come to understand the difference between knowledge and opinion. They’ll also be introduced to the key elements of scientific enquiry including:
- Questioning and forming the hypothesis
- Making a prediction based on impartial observation
- Planning a random and repeatable investigation
- Analysing the data and communicating the results.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 3 (Years 5-6)|
|Learning area||Science and Technology|
ST3-1WS-S. Plans and conducts scientific investigations to answer testable questions, and collects and summarises data to communicate conclusions
ST3-4LW-S. Examines how the environment affects the growth, survival and adaptation of living things
Booking by arrangement, September to May (not during winter).
- Kosciuszko Education Centre, Thredbo-Perisher area
- 3hrs 30min
$375 per group (includes GST). Maximum 30 students per group. Conditions apply for groups over 30.
- Meeting point
- Kosciuszko Education Centre
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Kosciuszko Education Centre
- 02 6451 3700
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass