Murray Valley National Park
Book a camping stay in the Thornley area of Murray Valley National Park. You can choose to camp on the high banks of the Murray at Hennessy campground or down on the water at Thornley Beach.
Choose from 2 campgrounds when you arrive:
- Hennessy campground
- Thornley Beach campground
There are no camping fees but a $6 booking fee applies. Bookings are required. Book online or call 1300 072 757.
- Campfires are permitted between April and September.
- Collection of deadfall timber is permitted for small campfires only.
- You can’t remove firewood from the park. Chainsaws are not permitted.
- Pets and domestics animals (other than certified assistance animals) are not permitted in Murray Valley National Park. If you want to camp with your dog, find a campground in Murray Valley Regional Park.
Vehicle access and road quality
Lower River Road and roads within the Thornley area are unsealed. 4WD vehicles recommended when wet. Campervans/RVs are permitted in Hennessy campground but will not fit down the trail into Thornley Beach.
How to get there
Thornley campgrounds are around 20km west of the Tocumwal township. To get there:
- Follow Tuppal Road for 6km and turn right onto Lower River Road.
- Follow Lower River Road for 11km, turn left onto Bullatale Road and follow this into the Thornley area.
- Once you have arrived choose from one of the 2 campgrounds.
There are no rubbish collection points. Please take all rubbish when you leave.
Spend the night among majestic river red gums at 1 of 3 campgrounds in the Woperana area of Murray Valley National Park. With campsites right on the Murray River, it's an ideal place to pitch your tent or bring your camper trailer.
These maps give a basic overview of park attractions and facilities, and may not be detailed enough for some activities. We recommend that you buy a topographic map before you go exploring.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Moama office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm. Closed 12pm to 1pm.
- 03 5483 9100
- Factory 5, Lot 8 Bowlan Road, Moama NSW 2731
- in Murray Valley National Park in the Murray-Riverina region
Murray Valley National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (15)
- Aboriginal culture (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (8)
- Canoeing/paddling (6)
- Cycling (2)
- Fishing (7)
- Historic heritage (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (7)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (2)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (2)
- Sightseeing (4)
- Swimming (5)
- Walking (10)