Smithers Beach campground
Murray Valley National Park
Smithers Beach is perfectly positioned on the mighty Murray River in the Barooga area of Murray Valley National Park. Book a camping stay and enjoy all that this beautiful beach has to offer.
There are a number of campsites along Smithers Beach that you can choose from when you arrive. Sites are not numbered, so please be mindful of others when you camp. Stay safe around rivers and lakes.
There are no camping fees but a $6 booking fee applies. Bookings are required. Book online or call 1300 072 757.
- Campfires are permitted between April and September.
- Collection of deadfall timber is permitted for small campfires only.
- You can’t remove firewood from the park. Chainsaws are not permitted.
- Pets and domestics animals (other than certified assistance animals) are not permitted in Murray Valley National Park. If you want to camp with your dog, find a campground in Murray Valley Regional Park.
Vehicle access and road quality
Smithers Beach Road and roads within the Barooga area are unsealed. 4WD vehicles recommended when wet. Campervans/RVs are permitted at Smithers Beach.
How to get there
Smithers Beach is in the Barooga area of Murray Valley National Park, around 10km south-west from the Tocumwal township. To get there:
- Follow the Barooga-Tocumwal Road towards Barooga for 5km.
- Turn right onto Smithers Road and follow for 5km.
- Be aware that in order to access Smithers Beach you have to drive past private property and through a closed gate.
- Please respect our neighbours by following the recommended road rules and keep the gate closed at all times.
Please note that there is an Occupational Permit at Smithers Beach which allows our neighbours to graze their cattle between April and November. When you enter Smithers Beach please make sure you shut the gate behind you.
There are no rubbish collection points. Please take all rubbish when you leave.
Spend the night among majestic river red gums at 1 of 3 campgrounds in the Woperana area of Murray Valley National Park. With campsites right on the Murray River, it's an ideal place to pitch your tent or bring your camper trailer.
Enjoy all that the Murray river has to offer when you stay at one of the 6 campgrounds in the Barooga area of Murray Valley Regional Park. With beautiful sandy beaches these campgrounds are an ideal spot to set up camp and relax close to town.
Spend the night right next to the Murray River at either Quicks Beach or Kerrs Beach campground. A perfect spot to set up your tent, caravan or motorhome and enjoy the sandy beaches.
These maps give a basic overview of park attractions and facilities, and may not be detailed enough for some activities. We recommend that you buy a topographic map before you go exploring.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Moama office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm. Closed 12pm to 1pm.
- 03 5483 9100
- Factory 5, Lot 8 Bowlan Road, Moama NSW 2731