Sandon River campground
Yuraygir National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Sandon River campground.
Getting there and parking
Sandon River campground is in Yuraygir National Park. To get there:
- From Gulmarrad, near Maclean, follow Brooms Head Road south east for about 17km
- Turn right onto Sandon River Road, about 100m north of Brooms Head village
- Continue on Sandon River Road for about 12.5km until reaching the campground.
- 4WD vehicle access is permitted on North Sandon Beach. No vehicles are permitted south of the 4WD beach access.
- The road to the campground is gravel and varies in condition. It can become boggy when it rains and at times it may not be suitable for some caravans or vehicles. Please check road conditions before you visit.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
1 vehicle is permitted per campsite. Parking is available in front of your campsite. Limited parking is available for additional vehicles and/or boats.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Yuraygir National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Autumn is the perfect time of year to go beach fishing along the park's coastline.
The park's heathlands provide a spectacular display of wildflowers. Check them out on your choice of walking track, including the Wilsons Headland walk and, of course, the Yuraygir coastal walk.
Visit in summer to make the most of the park's countless beaches and waterways. Swim, surf or snorkel – cooling sea breezes provide welcome relief in hot weather.
Plan a winter trip to go whale watching. The sight of migrating whales swimming north to warmer waters is second-to-none, and there are magnificent viewing points at Red Cliffs lookout and Brooms Head.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
20°C and 26°C
9°C and 20°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Campsites are marked and suitable for caravans, camper trailers, campervans and tents. Campsites are not suitable for very large caravans or motorhomes over 7.5m.
- There is 1 tent-only site allocated for walkers who are completing the Yuraygir coastal walk
- All campsites are unpowered and there is no power available in the campground
- There are no shower facilities
- Drinking water is not available at the campground. There is tank water for general washing and for bring-your-own camp showers, but it's not suitable for drinking.
- Firewood is not provided and can't be collected from the park. Firewood can be purchased from roadside vendors along Brooms Head Road.
- Rubbish and recycling bins are available at the waste point near the entry to the campground.
- Non-flush toilets
Picnic shelter with lights and electric barbecues.
Fires are permitted in the designated wood barbecues or in your own fire brazier only. No other fires are permitted within the camping or beach area.
- Wood barbecues
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
Located at the access ramp of the main toilet building (coin-operated).
Maps and downloads
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.
Spear fishing is permitted in designated areas only. Parts of the Sandon River and beach areas are within the Solitary Islands Marine Park and restrictions may apply to fishing, crabbing, spearfishing and collection of some marine species. Please get information from NSW Fisheries or NSW Marine Parks before undertaking these types of activities.
- All beach areas next to the campground are pedestrian access only. No vehicles are permitted south of the 4WD beach access.
- Chemical toilets like porta potties are not permitted
- Amplified music is not permitted. Please be considerate of others and keep noise to a minimum. Noise restrictions apply from 10pm.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.