Old Snowy campground
High Plains area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Old Snowy campground.
Getting there and parking
Old Snowy campground is in the northern (Currango/Tantangara) precinct of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there from Adaminaby:
- Drive along Snowy Mountains Highway for 19.4km
- Turn right onto Tantangara Road
- Continue past the Tantangara reservoir wall, where the road turns onto Pocket Saddle Road.
- After driving for 14km along Pocket Saddle Road, you’ll see Old Snowy campground on the right.
- It's recommended that all vehicles carry snow chains from the June to October long weekends. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to this campground can become boggy when it rains.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- 4WD required in wet weather
Parking is available at Old Snowy campground.
- Drinking water is not available at this campground. There is creek water available, though you’ll need to treat or boil it before drinking or cooking.
- Firewood is not provided. It may be collected from the park, however it’s a good idea to bring your own supply.
- Rubbish bins are not available – please take rubbish with you when leaving.
- Non-flush toilets
Maps and downloads
Fishing from a boat, the beach or by the river is a popular activity for many national park visitors. If you’re planning a day out fishing, check out these fishing safety tips.
Generators can be used within this campground from 9am-9pm.
Vehicle-based camping with horses is permitted at this campground. Horse yards are provided onsite and are equipped with electrical tape that you can attach to your energiser and/or divide into smaller yards.
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.
Commercial filming and photography
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- in the High Plains area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
Long Plain Road and Tantangara Road (beyond the dam wall) are closed in winter from June to October long weekends. This period may be extended so it’s a good idea to contact the Tumut Visitor Centre. Areas may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
No park entry fees apply in the High Plains area. See vehicle entry fees for other areas in Kosciuszko National Park.Buy annual pass