Illaroo group camping area
Yuraygir National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Illaroo group camping area.
Getting there and parking
Illaroo group camping area is in the Minnie Water precinct of Yuraygir National Park. To get there from Grafton:
- Drive about 12km southwest on the Pacific Highway
- Turn left at Eight Mile Lane
- Follow Eight Mile Lane as it becomes Wooli Road (keep right) for another 28km
- Turn left at Minnie Water Road and continue for about 7km
- Turn left at Sandon Road, just before Minnie Water Village.
You need a gate code to access the exclusive Illaroo group camping area. You’ll get the code after you book.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
- Camper trailers, campervans and caravans can park in the group area but driving of vehicles is not permitted within the group area except for when you're loading/unloading camping gear, or parking your caravan/camper trailer/campervan for the duration of your stay.
- Designated parking is available for 7 vehicles and 1 minibus at the entrance to the group area, if you'd like to drive your vehicles throughout your stay.
- A gate code is required for vehicles to access the exclusive group camping area. You'll get the code after you book.
- 4WD vehicles can access the beach via the general campground however there is no beach access south of the Sandon Beach access.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Yuraygir National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Autumn is the perfect time of year to go beach fishing along the park's coastline.
The park's heathlands provide a spectacular display of wildflowers. Check them out on your choice of walking track, including the Wilsons Headland walk and, of course, the Yuraygir coastal walk.
Visit in summer to make the most of the park's countless beaches and waterways. Swim, surf or snorkel – cooling sea breezes provide welcome relief in hot weather.
Plan a winter trip to go whale watching. The sight of migrating whales swimming north to warmer waters is second-to-none, and there are magnificent viewing points at Red Cliffs lookout and Brooms Head.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
20°C and 26°C
9°C and 20°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Illaroo group camping area has unmarked sites and is suitable for tents, camper trailers, campervans and caravans.
- The group area has its own pedestrian access to the beach.
- There are no showers or power available.
- Basic supplies and firewood can be purchased from nearby shops in Minnie Water.
- Non-flush toilets
There is a shelter with picnic tables and gas barbecue.
Firewood is not supplied at this campground.
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
- Fire rings (bring your own firewood)
- Drinking water is available from the roadside tap at the turn off to the campground, which is about 2km from the camp area.
- There is a rainwater tank in the group area however campers must boil the water before drinking
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
Assistance may be required to access this area
Campfires are only permitted in designated fire rings.
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.