Doon Goonge campground
Chaelundi National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Doon Goonge campground.
Getting there and parking
Doon Goonge campground is in the northern part of Chaelundi National Park.
PIN codes are required to access the locked gates for Doon Goonge campground. PIN codes will be provided in your booking confirmation email. If you have not received your code, contact 13000 72757 before setting out.
We recommend camper trailers travel from Armidale to the campground.
To get there from Armidale:
- Take Armidale-Grafton Road to Dundurrabin
- Turn left onto Sheep Station Creek Road
- Turn left onto Chaelundi Road, past the Misty Creek Road turn-off, past Stop-a-Bit, past Goldfields Road, until you reach the turn-off onto Quartz Road on your right.
- Soon after crossing over Marara Creek, you will reach Doon Goonge campground.
To get there from Grafton:
- Take Old Glen Innes Road to Dalmorton
- Turn left onto Chaelundi Road
- Turn left after 8km onto Quartz Road
- After 9km you will arrive at the campground
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to Doon Goonge campground can become boggy when it rains.
- The road is unsealed and includes creek crossings.
- All-wheel drive low clearance vehicles are not recommended
- Vehicles must not drive off the formed access trail
- Unsealed roads
- All roads require 4WD vehicle
- All weather
Parking is available.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Chaelundi National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Photography of forest and cycads fruiting.
Wilderness bushwalking along Chandlers Creek gorge.
Remote camping, fishing and swimming in Chandlers Creek.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
28°C and 30°C
21°C and 24°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- The campground is unmarked with room for about 7 camper trailers, campervans or tents. There is also a tent only area bounded by bollards, suitable for about 3 tents.
- There are no shower facilities and no power in the campground
- Water is not available at this campground.
- Rubbish bins are not available, so please take all rubbish with you.
- Non-flush toilets
Fires are permitted in the designated fire rings only.
- Fire rings (bring your own firewood)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
Wheelchairs can access this area with some difficulty. There is a ramp to access the toilet but no handrails inside.
Chemical toilets are permitted but its contents can't be emptied into the compost toilets or surrounding areas.
Amplified music is permitted but please be considerate of your fellow campers.
Fishing is permitted between 1 November and 31 July only. Fines may apply outside this period. A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters. In order to protect the diminishing numbers of endangered eastern freshwater cod, you're required to release them if caught.
Please be considerate of your fellow campers.