Dawsons Spring campground
Mount Kaputar National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Dawsons Spring campground.
Getting there and parking
Dawsons Spring campground is in the Kaputar plateau precinct of Mount Kaputar National Park. To get there:
- From Narrabri take Old Gunnedah Road south
- After about 2.5km turn left onto Kaputar Road
- Follow Kaputar Road from the park entrance for 20km of steep, single-lane road until you reach the T-junction, where you turn right.
- The campground is at the end of the road
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- 4WD required in wet weather
Parking is available at Dawsons Spring campground.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Mount Kaputar National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
This is one of the best times of year to visit the park, with ideal temperatures for bush walking, cycling and camping.
A beautiful time of year to enjoy the abundant wildflowers and birds.
Escape the heat of the plains by heading up into the park.
Experience the mist surrounding the high plateau area and enjoy the beauty of the occasional blanketing of snow. Be prepared for the temperatures about 10°C cooler than in the nearby town of Narrabri.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
21°C and 35°C
7°C and 18°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Water is available, however you’ll need to treat or boil it before drinking.
- Non-flush toilets
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
- Wood barbecues (bring your own firewood)
- Fire rings (bring your own firewood)
- Hot showers
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
Firewood is not provided and may not be collected from the park.
Generators are not permitted in this campground.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.