Bark Hut picnic area and campground
Mount Kaputar National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Bark Hut picnic area and campground.
Getting there and parking
Bark Hut campground is in the Kaputar Plateau section of Mount Kaputar National Park. To get there:
- From Narrabri take Old Gunnedah Road south
- After about 2.5km turn left onto Kaputar Road
- Follow Kaputar Road for 27km to Mount Kaputar National Park entrance. The road from the park entrance is a steep, single lane road and caravans are not permitted.
- Bark Hut is located about 14km along on the left.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Bark Hut campground
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Mount Kaputar National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
This is one of the best times of year to visit the park, with ideal temperatures for bush walking, cycling and camping.
A beautiful time of year to enjoy the abundant wildflowers and birds.
Escape the heat of the plains by heading up into the park.
Experience the mist surrounding the high plateau area and enjoy the beauty of the occasional blanketing of snow. Be prepared for the temperatures about 10°C cooler than in the nearby town of Narrabri.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
21°C and 35°C
7°C and 18°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Water is available, however you’ll need to treat or boil it before drinking.
- Firewood is not provided and may not be collected from the park.
- Flush toilets
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
- Wood barbecues (bring your own firewood)
- Hot showers