Hill End Historic Site
All the practical information you need to know about Fairfax House.
Getting there and parking
Fairfax House is located in Hill End Historic Site.
To get there: From Bathurst (allow 1.5hrs):
- Turn off the Great Western Highway onto Gilmour Street, at Kelso
- Follow Sofala Road for around 45km.
- At Sofala, turn left onto Hill End Road and continue for around 37.5km to Hill End Historic Site.
From Mudgee (allow 1.25hrs):
- Head north towards Gulgong on the Castlereagh Highway.
- Turn left onto Hill End Road and continue for around 69km to Hill End Historic Site.
After arriving in Hill End, from the Royal Hotel:
- Head towards the war memorial and keep to your left.
- Once past the war memorial, keep to your right and travel along Tambaroora Street.
- You’ll pass Hill End Public School and the Post Office.
- At the end of the street after the Post Office, turn left on to Reef Street.
- Pass Alexander Street on your left. Then turn right onto Albert Street a further 100m to your right. Please note, Albert Street is unsealed.
- Travel around 150m up Albert Street until you reach Fairfax House on your right. The property name is on the fence.
You’ll need an access code to get in the front door of the property. We’ll email you the code after you book.
There is 150m of unsealed road leading up to the house.
- Mixture of sealed and unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
There is parking at the house for up to 4 cars.
- Bed configuration: 1 bedroom with queen bed and 1 bedroom with 2 single beds.
- The bathroom is external to the house. It has a bathtub, shower and flush toilet.
- Lounge room
- Please leave the property clean and tidy with all kitchen items washed up and put away. Additional fees may be charged if unreasonable is cleaning required, or for missing or broken items.
- Flush toilets
There's a firepit in the yard with limited firewood provided. Gas barbecue.
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
- Hot showers
Self-contained kitchen with oven and 4-burner cooktop.
Plates and cutlery
Pots and pans
A washing machine and small clothesline are located in the bathroom.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - no wheelchair access
Fairfax House has an outdoor bathroom with 5 steps. It’s not suitable if you have mobility difficulties.
Fossicking is prohibited in Hill End Historic Site. There is a Crown Land fossicking area in Tambaroora, 12min drive north of Hill End, where you can fossick with a permit.
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.
Commercial filming and photography
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.