Mount Hyland Nature Reserve
All the practical information you need to know about Mount Hyland Nature Reserve.
Getting there and parking
From Armidale via Dundurrabin:
- Turn off Armidale-Grafton Road at Dundurrabin
- Proceed along Sheepstation Road for 6.3km
- Turn left onto Chaelundi Road
- Mount Hyland Nature Reserve is 10km along Chaelundi Road
From Armidale via Hernani:
- Turn off Armidale/Grafton Road at Hernani onto Marengo Road
- Proceed along Marengo Road for 11.4km
- Turn right onto Hardens Road and proceed for 7km
Via Old Glen Innes/Grafton Road:
- At Dalmorton, turn onto Chaelundi Road.
- Proceed along Chaelundi Road for 46.5km
- Vista Point picnic area See on map
Check out the Bicycle information for NSW website for more information.
By public transport
For information about public transport options, visit the NSW country transport info website.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Mount Hyland Nature Reserve. Here are some of the highlights.
Walk to the top of the summit for spectacular views across world-class wilderness.
Take the binoculars for some excellent birdwatching as spring heralds the nesting season.
Escape the summer heat with a refreshing walk through temperate rainforest.
The crisp mornings are a great time for taking in the majestic views across the mountain ranges from the lookouts.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
13.8°C and 24°C
4.4°C and 16°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Maps and downloads
- in the North Coast region
Mount Hyland Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Coffs Harbour office
02 6652 0900
Contact hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 4/32 Edgar St, Coffs Harbour NSW 2450
- Coffs Harbour office
Dorrigo (67 km)
Dorrigo is a serene country town and the gateway to Dorrigo National Park. Its close to the edge of the escarpment above the Bellingen Valley.
Grafton (101 km)
Grafton is a gracious, historic city in the Clarence Valley farming district. It's situated on the broad Clarence River and surrounded by river flats.
Armidale (117 km)
During autumn the parks and gardens around Armidale show their beautiful colours. Enjoy a drive along the Waterfall Way, stopping at waterfalls and craggy gorges in the rugged countryside.