Cathedral Rock National Park
Starting from Native Dog campground, follow this track to Woolpack Rocks, where you can picnic, birdwatch and walk to the summit for views across the New England Tablelands.
- 8km return
- Time suggested
- 2hrs 30min - 3hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
Woolpack Rocks shouldn’t be overlooked just because the national park wasn’t named after them. Easily accessible from Native Dog campground, this feature is a geological wonder in its own right.
As you walk towards the Woolpack Rocks, their size and shape capture your gaze. You can tell they’re ancient – in fact, they’re around 270 million years old. You can also see some of the dykes created at the same time when molten rock pushed into deep pockets within the earth’s crust; you’re walking along a timeline.
The well-weathered boulders are 1400m above sea level, yet clambering to the summit is even easier than at Cathedral Rock. So, you’re getting a great scenic view for the price of a prehistoric walk and an easy climb.
Woolpack Rocks lookout is in Cathedral Rock National Park. Use Woolpack Rocks walking track to reach this lofty summit of spectacular boulders and enjoy fantastic tableland views.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Glen Innes office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6739 0700
- 68 Church Street, Glen Innes NSW 2370
- in Cathedral Rock National Park in the Country NSW region
Cathedral Rock National Park is always open, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.