Waratah walking track
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
The long, yet gentle, Waratah walking track takes in wildflowers and scenic water views over Akuna and Yeomens Bay in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- 10km return
- Time suggested
- 2hrs 30min - 3hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Sunscreen, drinking water, hat
- Please note
You'll find toilets and picnic facilities at Resolute picnic area
A brilliant walk when the weather warms up, Waratah walking track delights with heady scents and a colourful display that’s sure to put a spring in your step. This track takes in the western area off West Head Road through heathland, with lovely water views over Yeomens Bay in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
It’s perfect for a day trip, so don’t forget to pack a picnic lunch as the track leads through sandy heath dotted with boronia and waratahs. Stop and enjoy the scenic water views down to Akuna Bay and Yeomens Creek. Near the end of the walk, a large rock shelf brims with islands of wildflowers.
Unroll the picnic rug and enjoy a snack while soaking up the escarpment view overlooking Yeomens Bay and Coal and Candle Creek. When you’ve had your fill of scenery and wildflowers, retrace your steps.
Take a virtual tour of Waratah walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Forestville Office
- Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm.
- 02 9451 3479
- 82 Ferguson Street, Forestville NSW 2087
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).
A $3 per adult, $2 per child landing fee may apply for day visitors to The Basin campground. Please pay at the campground wharf. Landing fees are included in your camping fees.Buy annual pass