Tommys Rock lookout and walking track
Mann River Nature Reserve
Fire affected area
Some areas of this park were affected by fire in 2019/2020. You’ll notice some changes to the landscape, as well as signs of recovery. Some areas may remain closed for longer to allow habitat to recover or because we’re repairing park infrastructure. Stay safe with these after-fire tips for visitors.
Tommys Rock walking track offers scenic mountain views across the Great Dividing Ranges in Mann River Nature Reserve. You can choose to walk or 4WD along the trail to the summit.
- Mann River Nature Reserve
- 8km return
- Time suggested
- 3hrs 30min - 4hrs 30min
- Grade 5
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- If driving the trail, 4WD is essential due to steep rollovers and rugged terrain. Not suitable for trailers
- The weather in the area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching
For unending scenic wilderness views over The Great Dividing Range, head for Tommys Rock lookout and walking track, in beautiful Mann River Nature Reserve, near Glen Innes. The imposing rocky knob is a short drive from Mann River campground and picnic area. Fit bushwalkers will love the challenge of the steep walking track to the summit. Whichever way you get there, the crisp mountain air and panoramic views will take your breath away.
Named after Tommy McPherson, a remarkable Aboriginal man who, legend suggests, was a skilled stockman, bushranger, escaped fugitive and gold digger. If you’re walking the steep track, pause to catch your breath and keep your eyes peeled for signs of Tommy’s secret gold mine.
Brush-tailed rock wallabies, with their distinct cheek stripe, live around the rocks near the lookout. You might also hear the raucous glossy black cockatoos feasting on the nearby she-oaks.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Glen Innes office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6739 0700
- 68 Church Street, Glen Innes NSW 2370
- in Mann River Nature Reserve in the Country NSW region
Mann River Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.