The Green Gully track
Oxley Wild Rivers National Park
Fire affected area
Some areas of this park were affected by fire in 2019/2020. You’ll notice some changes to the landscape, as well as signs of recovery. Some areas may remain closed for longer to allow habitat to recover or because we’re repairing park infrastructure. Stay safe with these after-fire tips for visitors.
Make a booking to experience fern-lined gullies, high elevation forests and wildlife along the Green Gully track. Stay in heritage huts for a break from this challenging multi-day hike.
- Oxley Wild Rivers National Park
- 65km loop
- Time suggested
- 4 - 5 days
- Grade 5
Bookings include 2 to 4 hikers for 5 nights at $600. Additional hikers at $200 per person. Maximum 6 hikers per booking. You can’t walk the track alone.
- Book online. Select date of first night only and leave number of nights as default (1).
- Your booking starts at Cedar Creek Cottage, with the walk starting the next day.
- The track takes 4 days to complete. You'll be sent a confirmation with your track itinerary for 5 nights from your first date.
- Please note
- You will stay in 5 huts over your 4 day walk, starting at Cedar Creek Cottage, followed by Birds Nest Hut, Green Gully Hut, Colwells Hut and finishing up at Cedar Creek Lodge.
- You'll need to be fit and prepared for long, sometimes arduous walking over 4 days. The track is 65km and often steep, with a 900m descent on day 2, a walk through creek beds on day 3 and a 600m climb out on day 4.
- After you book, a comprehensive list of required gear and directions will be provided as part of your information pack.
- We recommend that only people over 12 years of age attempt the track
- This park is in a remote location, so please ensure you are thoroughly prepared, take appropriate clothing and equipment, and advise a family member or friend of your travel plans.
The Green Gully track, part of the World Heritage-listed Oxley Wild Rivers National Park, is an adventurous 65km walk. This award-winning walking track is one of the best in NSW, and takes you on a unique journey deep into the Apsley-Macleay gorges, one of the largest gorge systems in Australia.
The only way to experience the inspiring views, dramatic gorges and abundant wildlife is to book a self-guided walk.
On the four day Green Gully track, you’ll traverse fern-lined gullies, crystal-clear mountain streams, high-elevation forests as well as towering rocky outcrops. You’ll share some of the terrain with endangered brush-tailed rock wallabies, soaring wedge-tailed eagles, and native marsupial mice.
Uniquely, there is no need to carry a tent as you’ll stay in restored stockman huts along the way. Fitted with the essentials like beds, rainwater, solar-lighting, non-flush toilets and cooking equipment within each hut, these huts will greet the weary walker at the end of each day.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks support
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
- 02 9995 6518
- in Oxley Wild Rivers National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Oxley Wild Rivers National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
There are 3 areas in Oxley Wild Rivers National Park where you'll need day use vehicle permits: Halls Peak campground and picnic area, Riverside campground and picnic area, and Youdales Hut campground and picnic area. Day use vehicle permits can be bought online or by calling the National Parks Contact Centre on 1300 072 757. If camping, permit fees are included in the campground fee.Contact us for permits