The Drip walking track
The Drip walking track, in Goulburn River State Conservation Area, meanders beside Goulburn River to The Drip, or 'the Great Dripping Wall’. Rain water trickling through the porous rock wall makes it a cool oasis.
- 2.8km return
- Time suggested
- 1hr - 1hr 30min
- Grade 3
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, snacks, drinking water, sturdy shoes, suitable clothing
- Please note
- There are some steps, handrails, uneven rocks and creek crossings along this track. It’s a good idea to wear long pants and enclosed shoes.
- You can visit The Drip during the day. If you’re camping, try Spring Gully or Big River campgrounds which are a 1 hour drive from The Drip, towards Wollar.
- No fires or camping are permitted at The Drip.
The Drip Gorge is a significant place for the local Wiradjuri People. The best time to experience it is after a few days of rain, when you’ll see the sandstone walls dripping clear spring water. During a hot summer you’ll love its natural air-conditioning. It can be 10 to 15° cooler than the surrounding region on a hot day. It usually has a light fall of rain from water percolating through the rock.
This return track starts and ends at the carpark. Pack a picnic then take off on a bushwalk. If you’re not feeling energetic, rest in the shade on a seat along the track or dip your feet in the quiet rockpools.
The abundant plant life along the track adds to the beauty of The Drip. See if you can spot native apple gums, tree violets (named for their scent) and rocky outcrops with orchids and moss. After your walk, splash around in the Goulburn River or stop off at Hands on the Rock, an important Aboriginal rock art site at Ulan. It’s only 2km north of the Drip and well worth a visit.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Mudgee office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4:30pm.
- 02 6370 9000
- 27 Inglis Street, Mudgee NSW 2850
- in Goulburn River National Park in the Country NSW region
Goulburn River National Park is always open, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- in Goulburn River State Conservation Area in the Country NSW region
Things to do (14)
- Aboriginal culture (2)
- Adventure sports (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (2)
- Cultural heritage (1)
- Cycling (1)
- Historic heritage (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (4)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (4)
- Sightseeing (6)
- Walking (7)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (3)