Sublime Point walking track
Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area
For a challenging walk through rainforest, Sublime Point walking track offers great birdwatching and scenic views across Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area.
- Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area
- 0.7km one-way
- Time suggested
- 30 - 45min
- Grade 4
- What to
- Sunscreen, hat, drinking water
- Please note
- Please respect the residents of Foothills Road by keeping noise to a minimum when entering and leaving the track
- Avoid parking across residential driveways on Foothills Road
- There are no rubbish bins along the walk so please take your rubbish away with you
Sublime Point walking track is one of the iconic treks of the Illawarra escarpment, and a challenging walk through lush coastal rainforest to the plateau above with incredible scenic views. The steep climb is ideal for experienced bushwalkers and a great nature escape only an hour from Sydney, north of Wollongong.
Starting near Sublime Point, the track descends steeply from Sublime Point lookout down the escarpment cliffs, through dense forests dotted with tree ferns and palms. Stop for a breather for some great birdwatching, and look out for yellow-tailed black cockatoos or raptor birds such as falcons and kestrels.
A series of ladders and a giant staircase allow you to rock-hop your way down to Austinmer. Enjoy lunch at the picnic facilities or nearby cafe before heading back down. If the hike up is enough for you though, you can organise a pick-up at the bottom of the track, or catch a train home from Austinmer Station.
Take a virtual tour of Sublime Point walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Wollongong office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
- 02 4224 4188
- Unit G Ground Floor, 84 Crown Street, Wollongong NSW 2500
- in Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area in the South Coast region
Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger. However, it is recommended that bushwalking only be undertaken during daylight hours because of the presence of cliff edges and other hazards.