Salvation loop trail
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Salvation loop trail is an easy family-friendly nature walk through hanging swamps and heathland in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, near West Head.
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- 4km loop
- Time suggested
- 1 - 2hrs
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, sunscreen, hat
- Please note
Toilets and picnic facilities are located at Resolute picnic area
A delightful, easy walking track through unique hanging swamps off West Head Road in the middle of Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, Salvation loop trail offers a perfect outing for the family and a brilliant walk for nature enthusiasts who want to experience the wet heathlands of the park.
Skirting the edge of the hanging swamp and wet heathland, notice how the vegetation changes. Only plants that don’t mind getting their feet wet can thrive here. You’ll see sphagnum moss, sword grass and the green-flowering swamp banksia. Coral and pink swamp heath are dotted through the heathland.
On close inspection, you might discover the insect-eating sundew plant, which catches small insects with its velcro-like mitts. If you want a longer walk, take the turn off to Wallaroo walking track, or simply continue on the loop and walk back along the road. Lay out a picnic lunch on the tables at Salvation Creek picnic area.
Take a virtual tour of Salvation loop trail captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Forestville Office
- Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm.
- 02 9451 3479
- 82 Ferguson Street, Forestville NSW 2087
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).
A $3 per adult, $2 per child landing fee applies at The Basin campground for visitors arriving by water. Annual NSW Parks Pass not valid for landing fees - pay at the campground wharf. Landing fees are not included in your camping fees.Buy annual pass