Red Hands Cave walking track - Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Take this short walk to check out the Aboriginal ochre rock paintings at Red Hands Cave, near West Head in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- 0.6km return
- Time suggested
- 30 - 45min
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Aboriginal rock art and engravings along this walk are of great cultural and historical significance and are very delicate. Please don’t touch or interfere with the artworks.
- Toilets and picnic facilities are located at Resolute picnic area
For an opportunity to see one of the most famous Aboriginal heritage sites in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, Red Hands Cave walking track is the route you're looking for.
Head out from Resolute picnic area on this easy bush track to see rock art of the Aboriginal people of the Guringai Nation.
Arriving after a short walk through the red gums, you’ll discover the cave with ochre hand-prints. Pause for a moment to reflect on the lives of the people whose palms are now immortalised. The Guringai Nation extended from Broken Bay in the north to Port Jackson in the south and as far south-west as Lane Cove River. There are six clans within the nation, and it’s the Garrigal who lived at West Head.
Retrace your steps, or if you’re inspired to experience more, continue on the Aboriginal Heritage walk for another 4km before returning back where you started at Resolute picnic area.
Take a virtual tour of Red Hands Cave walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Forestville Office
- Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm.
- 02 9451 3479
- Garigal National Park, End of Ferguson Street, Forestville NSW 2087
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).Buy a pass