Dooragan National Park
This relaxing walk close to Laurieton and Port Macquarie, loops through rainforest to a remote lookout with coastal views, before returning to North Brother summit picnic area.
- 0.6km loop
- Time suggested
- 15 - 30min
- Grade 4
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water, binoculars, insect repellent
- Please note
- At times, as with anywhere in the bush, ticks, leeches, and other biting insects may be about, and it’s a good idea to wear light-coloured clothing and insect repellent if you’re sensitive to such bites.
Rainforest loop is a relatively relaxed walk leading to the furthest end of the loop, where a small remote lookout platform looks back at Diamond Head. On the southern side of the loop, the rainforest - with its suspended gallery of birds nest ferns - plunges you into an amazing green cathedral.
The highlight of taking this walk is really the gallery of birds nest ferns, epiphyte orchids, and other plants on the southern part of the loop walk. There’s also an amazing example of a strangler fig close to the track, near the carpark end of the southern side of the loop walk. The northern end of this loop track is wheelchair-accessible.
Surprisingly few people use this track, so the casual picnic visitor to the lookouts could easily find a little piece of solitude and serenity in the cool harmony of the rainforest here. Starting and ending at North Brother summit picnic area, why not enjoy scenic views over the coast and watching hang-gliders launch themselves from the summit.
Take a virtual tour of Rainforest loop captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Port Macquarie office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6588 5555 for general enquiries only, no bookings.
- 22 Blackbutt Road, Port Macquarie NSW 2444
- in Dooragan National Park in the North Coast region
Dooragan National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.