Pretty Beach to Snake Bay walking track
Murramarang National Park
Pretty Beach to Snake Bay walking track is a challenging day walk along rock platforms, isolated beaches and through coastal forest. It can only be walked at low tide and in calm weather.
- Murramarang National Park
- 10.4km return
- Time suggested
- 3 - 5hrs
- Grade 5
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water, snacks, sturdy shoes, suitable clothing
- Please note
- Pretty Beach to Snake Bay walking track requires extreme caution. It can only be walked at low tide and in calm weather. Please read our safety information before planning your trip.
- Check the tide, swell or wave size, and weather conditions before you set out. Surf conditions can change quickly, stay alert at all times.
- The track can be indistinct or unmarked, and is hard to follow, slippery and dangerous in places.
- This is part of a marine park – please check restrictions.
If you're well-prepared, Pretty Beach to Snake Bay walking track is an adventurous hike that traces the rocky coastline and beaches of northern Murramarang National Park.
Heading south from Pretty Beach, the unmarked route scrambles over slippery rock shelves that are normally underwater, and along remote pebble beaches. Make sure to check tides, swells and weather conditions before you set out as the journey requires extreme caution and is inaccessible from mid to high tide. It should not be attempted during poor weather or big ocean swells.
At Snake Bay, cool off with a swim in the clear ocean before tucking into a beachside picnic, to time your return with the next low tide. If you're feeling energetic, you can connect with the well-signposted Pebbly Beach to Snake Bay walking track.
A popular option is to loop back to Pretty Beach via Durras Mountain. Continue south of Snake Bay, then around 75m from Clear Point you'll meet the junction with the Mt Durras track. This track combines the steep but rewarding Pebbly Beach to Durras Mountain and Pretty Beach to Durras Mountain tracks. Allow 4-5 hours if you're planning to walk the full 12km loop in either direction.
Take a virtual tour of Pretty Beach to Pebbly Beach walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Ulladulla office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm.
- 02 4454 9500
- Lot 9 Blackburn Industrial Estate, 6 Coller Road Ulladulla NSW 2539
- in Murramarang National Park in the South Coast region
Murramarang National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park has pay and display machines - cash and credit cards accepted. Card only at Pretty Beach.Buy annual pass