Nunnock Swamp and Grasslands walking tracks
South East Forest National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Nunnock Swamp and Grasslands walking tracks.
Grade 3Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
8 - 9hrs
Quality of markings
Clearly sign posted
Quality of path
Formed track, some obstacles
No experience required
Getting there and parking
Nunnock Swamp and Grasslands walking tracks are in the Tantawangalo precinct of South East Forest National Park. To get there:
- Drive south for 10km along Snowy Mountains Highway
- Turn right onto Monaro Highway and follow for 4km
- Turn left onto New Line Road and follow for 19km
- Turn left onto Packers Swamp Road and follow the brown and white signs to Nunnock Swamp.
- Drive east for 19km along the Mount Darragh Road
- Turn left onto Tantawangalo Mountain Road and follow the brown and white signs to Nunnock Swamp
Check the weather before you set out as the road to Nunnock Swamp can become boggy when it rains.
Parking is available nearby at Nunnock Camping Area, Nunnock Northern Platform and at Alexanders Hut.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in South East Forest National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Head to the Bombala River in the early morning or late afternoon to see platypuses - look for circular ripple patterns in the water.
See Nunnocks Swamp and grasslands in its spring bloom glory.
A great time for a walk in the park – try the easy Goodenia Rainforest walk through a lush gully of ferns covered by a dense canopy of tall lilly pilly trees.
After a day exploring, get cosy in front of an open fire at historic Alexanders Hut, Nunnocks Swap.
Drinking water is limited or not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.