Newbys Creek walk and caves
Coorabakh National Park
A short walk along Newbys Creek in Coorabakh National Park takes visitors to a scenic cave, where a large overhanging rock creates a natural shelter above the stream.
- Coorabakh National Park
- 0.1km return
- Time suggested
- 10 - 20min
- Grade 5
- Opening times
Newbys Creek walk and cave is always open but may have to close at times due to flood events, poor weather or fire danger. The walk can become impassable after heavy rains.
- Please note
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat.
- Drinking water is limited or not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
- There is limited/no mobile reception in this park.
- This park is in a remote location, so please ensure you’re well-prepared, bring appropriate clothing and equipment and advise a family member or friend of your travel plans.
A good introduction to the cool solitude of the Coorabakh rainforest can be found at the elevated boardwalk near Starrs Creek picnic area, but for something slightly more adventurous, consider the short walk along Newbys Creek to a natural cave.
Stuttering frogs hide among the lush ferns that border this crystal clear stream. Take off your shoes and shuffle along a creek bed that threads through dense subtropical foliage and moss-covered rocks. Newbys cave is just five minutes from the road, but feels kilometres away. The cave is a large overhanging rock formation that creates a natural shelter above the water.
Rest in the shade and try to spot some of the native wildlife, or retrace your steps and head to the nearby Newbys lookout. The walk along the creek is relatively easy, though the track is unformed and the cave may be inaccessible after heavy rainfalls, when water swells, so be sure to check recent weather before setting out.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Taree office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6552 4097
- 78 Hargreaves Drive, Taree NSW 2430
- in Coorabakh National Park in the North Coast region
Coorabakh National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.