New England Wilderness walk
New England National Park
This challenging walk takes experienced bushwalkers on a journey through diverse wilderness, from the edge of New England Tableland to the headwaters of Bellinger River.
- New England National Park
- 33km one-way
- Time suggested
- 2 - 3 days
- Grade 5
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- What to
- Clothes for all weather conditions, drinking water, sturdy shoes, sunscreen, hat
- Please note
- Avoid doing the walk during periods of heavy rainfall and high river levels.
- This park is in a remote location and weather can be unpredictable. Please come well-prepared and tell a family member or friend about your travel plans.
Descending over 1,000m from the edge of New England Tableland to the headwaters of Bellinger River, this multi-day walk invites experienced bush walkers on a journey through diverse wilderness.
Best done over three days, this challenging walk follows the trail up to Wrights lookout. Enjoy the spectacular views before continuing along Snowy Range, then down to Sunday Creek.
The next stage involves creek-walking and river crossings, so make sure you’re equipped with the right footwear. There are lots of opportunities for swimming and serene camping along the way.
Once you reach the valley floor, you’ll wander along an old farm trail over grassy river flats, passing historic farmhouses and stockyards to remind you of the farming heritage here.
The 33km walk finishes on Darkwood Road, but you can also extend your adventure by canoeing or kayaking down the river from Cool Creek Crossing.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6657 5913
- 142 Dome Road Dorrigo Mountain NSW 2453
- in New England National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
New England National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.