Mystery Face walking track
Torrington State Conservation Area
Fire affected area
Some areas of this park were affected by fire in 2019/2020. You’ll notice some changes to the landscape, as well as signs of recovery. Some areas may remain closed for longer to allow habitat to recover or because we’re repairing park infrastructure. Stay safe with these after-fire tips for visitors.
The magnificent rock formations on the Mystery Face walking track are a must-see for any Torrington visitor and great for birdwatching and springtime wildflower displays.
- Torrington State Conservation Area
- 2.6km loop
- Time suggested
- 1hr - 1hr 30min
- Grade 3
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- This park is in a remote location and weather can be unpredictable, please ensure you are thoroughly prepared, bring appropriate clothing and equipment and advise a family member or friend of your travel plans.
The Mystery Face walking track takes you through open woodland and past remarkable granite rock formations. Awaken your imagination and see what shapes and figures you can see along the way.
The Mystery Face itself will be revealed towards the end of the loop track. Worn over time by erosion or created by humans, we’re not sure, but it serves as a fascinating reminder of the ancient Aboriginal heritage of this area.
As you admire the rock formations, keep a look out for small geckos and lizards which are often found in and around the rocky areas during the summer. In spring and summer, you’ll be treated to colourful wildflowers of purples and yellows which are scattered throughout the bush.
For those interested in birdwatching there is also plenty of birdlife to see along the way. You might be lucky to spot the brown treecreeper or the bright red-breasted flame robin dotted amongst the trees.
On the way
Stop at Mystery Face picnic area before discovering the remarkable rock formations along Mystery Face walking track, in Torrington State Conservation Area, near Tenterfield.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Tenterfield office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6736 4298
- 10 Miles Street, Tenterfield NSW 2372
- in Torrington State Conservation Area in the Country NSW region
Torrington State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.