Mount Imlay – Balawan Summit walking track
Mount Imlay National Park
Fire affected area
Some areas of this park were affected by fire in 2019/2020. You’ll notice some changes to the landscape, as well as signs of recovery. Some areas may remain closed for longer to allow habitat to recover or because we’re repairing park infrastructure. Stay safe with these after-fire tips for visitors.
This challenging walking track climbs over 600m from Burrawang picnic area to the summit of Mount Imlay – Balawan. Enjoy a picnic with a view, spring wildflowers and birdwatching.
- Mount Imlay National Park
- 6km return
- Time suggested
- 2 - 4hrs
- Grade 5
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Please clean your boots using the hygiene cleaning stations along Mount Imlay Summit walking track.
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
Starting at Burrawang picnic area, this challenging walk takes you through dry eucalypt forests and grassy woodlands to the summit of Mount Imlay. The track climbs steeply, rising 600m, but there’s plenty to distract you from the effort along the way.
In spring, stop to admire the delicate beauty and bright colours of wildflowers like mountain speedwell. Once you reach the summit, enjoy a rest and take in the views to the coast while you enjoy your picnic lunch. On a clear day, you can see all the way to Mallacoota in Victoria, and Narooma to the north.
It’s also a great spot for birdwatching. Watch for yellow-tailed black cockatoos flying overhead and listen closely for lyrebirds as you’re walking up the mountain.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Merimbula office
- Monday to Friday and some weekends during peak holiday periods, 10am to 3pm.
- 02 6495 5000
- 47 Merimbula Drive, cnr Sapphire Coast Drive, Merimbula NSW 2548
- in Mount Imlay National Park in the South Coast region
Mount Imlay National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.