Mount Gray walking track
Abercrombie Karst Conservation Reserve
Mount Gray walking track, near Abercrombie Caves, is a bushwalk to the relics of a historic mining site. It continues on to the magnificent waterfalls and scenic views at Grove Creek Falls.
- 7km loop
- Time suggested
- 3 - 4hrs
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Please note
- There's no drinking water available so you'll need to enough water for your trip.
- If you’re bushwalking in this park it’s a good idea to bring a topographic map and compass, or a GPS.
- There is no mobile reception in this park.
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat.
Take a journey back in time on Mount Gray walking track, when hopeful gold miners braved the remote bush conditions in their quest for fortune.
You’ll wander through undulating bushland on this medium grade walk to visit the place of a gold-mining community from the 1880s, listed on the National Estate as a historic heritage site.
The machinery and buildings have long-since gone, but the remaining earthworks are a reminder of the past. It was the miners from Mount Gray who built the dance platform inside the Abercrombie Archway at Abercrombie Caves.
After exploring this historic site, the walk leads down the road to the magnificent Grove Creek Falls. Stand at the lookout and watch the waterfalls of Grove Creek tumble over a sheer cliff to the ravine, 70 metres below.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Australia is home to more than 500,000 animal and plant species, many of which are found nowhere else in the world. Saving our Species is a statewide conservation program that addresses the growing number of Australian animals and Australian native plants facing extinction.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Abercrombie Caves office
- Thursday to Monday, 9am to 4.30pm. During NSW school holidays, 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6368 8603
- 272 Caves Road, Abercrombie River 2795
- in Abercrombie Karst Conservation Reserve in the Country NSW region
Abercrombie Karst Conservation Reserve and caves are open Thursday to Monday (closed Tuesday and Wednesday). The reserve and caves area open daily during NSW school holidays. Closed Christmas Day.