Mooray walking track
Heathcote National Park
Enjoy a day of Sydney bushwalking and birdwatching. One of the best walks in Heathcote National Park, Mooray walking track is easily accessed from Waterfall train station.
- Heathcote National Park in Sydney and surrounds, South Coast
- 5km return
- Time suggested
- 3 - 4hrs
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
Discover south-west Sydney’s diverse natural landscapes on this wonderful bushwalk, near Waterfall. Mooray walking track is a moderate half-day hike ideal for experienced bushwalkers, with sweeping heathland views across Heathcote National Park.
A favourite among birdwatchers, this signposted track starts via Warrabin Street trail, winding through at times tough terrain, yet rewarding you with glimpses of kingfishers and honeyeaters along the way. You could try to time your walk to coincide with the spring wildflower season; when the banksia, grevillea and hakea erupt with vibrant colours and scent.
Arriving at the end of the track at Heathcote Creek, choose to retrace your steps or head south along Bullawarring walking track and walk back via Kingfisher Pool picnic area for a refreshing swim. Why not make a weekend of it and pitch your tent at Kingfisher Pool campground?
For great Sydney bushwalking, visit Heathcote National Park, near Waterfall in the Sutherland shire; combine your hike with birdwatching and freshwater swimming.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles.
- Royal National Park Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9542 0648
- 1300 072 757 for campground and cottage bookings
- 2 Lady Carrington Drive, Audley, NSW 2232
- in Heathcote National Park in the Sydney and surrounds and South Coast regions
Heathcote National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.