Mallee Stop walking track
Mungo National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Mallee Stop walking track.
Grade 3Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
15 - 45min
Quality of markings
Clearly sign posted
Quality of path
Formed track, some obstacles
No experience required
Getting there and parking
Mallee Stop walking track is in the Walls of China precinct of Mungo National Park. To get there:
- From Sturt Highway, take Silver City Highway south of Mildura.
- Turn right into Arumpo Road and follow to the end
- Turn left into Balranald Road
- Take the first right into Mailbox Road and continue to the Mungo Visitor Centre
- Follow Mungo Self-guided Drive tour to the Mallee Stop
Check the weather before you set out as the road to Mallee Stop can become boggy when it rains.
Parking is available at Mallee Stop
Weather, temperature and rainfall
15°C and 34°C
3°C and 20°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
- From the carpark, a hard dirt track heads through mallee eucalupt woodland and grasslands. Around half way along, the track becomes loose sand as it heads over a low dune.
- Visitors in wheelchairs, prams, or with limited mobility will require some assistance along the dirt track, which offers medium accessibility for most of its length.
- The sandy sections on the gently sloping dune are challenging, but not impassable, with assistance.
Hard access is via steps or a steep slope, or you'll have to move across a rough surface with obstacles such as potholes, tree roots, and rocks. Assistance will be necessary.
Flying drones in Mungo National Park is not permitted unless you've received written agreement from the Park Office before your visit. Please note that a consent to fly a drone in this park is only permitted in exceptional circumstances with endorsement from the traditional owners. Read more about the Drones in Parks policy and the process to apply for consent.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Buronga office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 03 5021 8900
- 4 Melaleuca Street, Buronga NSW 2739
- in Mungo National Park in the Murray-Riverina region
Mungo National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. Fees are payable through self-registration envelopes outside Mungo Visitor Centre. Different fees apply for commercial tour operators and vehicles with 8 seats or more.Buy annual pass