Kinchela Trig Lookout walk
Hat Head National Park
Kinchela Trig lookout walk offers a short walk with scenic views of rugged coastline and birdwatching at Hat Head National Park, east of Kempsey.
- 0.5km return
- Time suggested
- 15 - 30min
- Grade 4
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch or whale watch
This short track leads gently uphill to reveal spectacular views of coastal estuaries and mountain hinterland, on the North Coast of NSW, south of Nambucca Heads. Not far from Hungry Gate campground, it’s a great introduction to the remote wilderness of the southern section of Hat Head National Park.
Kinchela Trig lookout walk winds through well-established banksia groves up to the trig station, marked with a concrete plinth. In spring, the vibrant red banksia flowers make for excellent birdwatching, attracting rosellas and cockatoos. During summer, the surrounding bush comes to life with cicada song.
Enjoy the fresh breeze off the ocean, as you take in the dramatic coastline stretching as far as the eye can see. Directly in front, you’ll be rewarded with a bird’s eye view of the headland. Keep your eyes peeled as sea-eagles and brahminy kites cruise the skies above this rugged stretch of coast.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Trial Bay Gaol Visitor Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6566 6168
- 73 Trial Bay Gaol Road, Arakoon NSW 2431
- in Hat Head National Park in the North Coast region
Hat Head National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day.Buy annual pass